Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Post for SBS.. although opinions are appreciated :)

Trish, you asked about what to buy for a 5 year old boy. I thought I'd post my ideas, versus adding them to the comments and maybe you'd miss them. When Monkey was that age, he already loved building things and Fireman stuff. If you're looking for something affordable which won't make his parents insane, those Duplo blocks are perfection. They're like Lego, but much much larger. Even if he already has some, they can always use more and still love them. Every year Wal-Mart carries this dump truck filled with the large ones, and Monkey loved it. Or Lincoln Logs. Or a set of little race cars. A Fireman set, if he is into Firemen or Policemen.. Monkey loved those, too.

I would avoid complicated like the plague. People were forever buying Monkey those race track sets... and they are evil. They're fun on Christmas, when everyone is there to help him set them up and play. But, they are an impossible toy for them to play with at that age... and then the frustration levels go through the roof. I know Monkey would get really upset, and I would feel bad if I couldn't take the time RIGHT THEN to stop and help him. Even remote control things are crappy at times, and take a lot of batteries.

So that would be my suggestion. If you get a really great deal, and it's under the budget you set.... you could also include a cool box of crayons and some coloring pads. And a sticker book, and things like that. You can get some cool things at the $1 store, and little kids love quantity :) But NO markers :) They have play-doh at my $1 store, and glow sticks... and crazy stuff like that.

If anyone else has a suggestion, be sure to comment and let her know. :)