Monday, November 20, 2006

The movie 'Sybil'.. circa 1976

Does anyone else remember the movie 'Sybil' with Sally Field? I was teasing Blu, and called him Sybil on his post.. and he asked, "Who is Sybil?". I forget that I'm old sometimes :) But man, this was a seriously disturbing movie about a woman in NY that suffered from 16 different personalities. A true story. I wasn't very old when I watched it, but I felt so incredibly sad for her when they would flash-back to her childhood. And the little girl was just so sweet (young Sybil), I just wanted to crawl through the TV and protect her from all of the evil in her life. And she just never fought it. I still remember it so vividly to this day.

Did anyone else see this movie??? The woman's real name was Shirley Ardell Mason, Sybil Dorsett was created to protect her identity when the story was written. Mason was an art teacher and a prolific painter. She lived a quiet life in Kentucky (she moved there to be near the doctor, she taught at the University of Lexington), going to a Seventh Day Adventist church, taking care of her pet poodles and cats, and playing Scrabble with Wilbur (the doctor that helped her) and a few close friends. She never married or had children. In 1998, Mason died of breast cancer at the age of 75, and it was not until after her death that she was publicly revealed as "Sybil." It seems none of her neighbors ever knew she was the woman from 'Sybil' until after she died.