Friday, November 03, 2006

Holy Mad Cow

So our local news AM radio is talking about a report this morning, which aired on our NBC channel lastnight. And I'm ill. And feeling a bit violated. And insecure. And.. even more ill. Did you know.. well for starters... did you know that there are even people that go to the grocery store.. buy meat.. and then RETURN IT? Seriously? If you guys have done that, what were the reasons? If I buy meat, I'm buying it to cook it and would be 7 levels of hostile if I had to return it. I have only taken produce back when it was obviously bad when I opened it. SO, these people that return fresh meats... did you know they re-stock it? OK, they're not supposed to, if I'm understanding the report correctly it's against FDA regulations to re-stock returned produce of any kind. But they checked a multitude of grocery stores in our area, and over a long period of time.. and even checked them TWICE. The first time, 75% re-stocked... the second? After they even received tips in the area that this report was being done? 80% re-stocked!!

The reporter said once she had the meat for 24 hours.. then returned it. No questions asked. Another time she left it in the trunk of her car for over 6 hours... it was warm and smelled... it was re-stocked. ?!?!?!?!? Holy shyte!! I have enough issues buying meats and seafood.. wondering how they handle it behind the counter. But now I have to worry about some freak having already taken it home, injected it with WHATEVER... and brought it back? OH! And she even said that at some places they have taken back sliced meats in the deli department, and put it back on the tray!! CRAP!! They cut it fresh at my store when you ask for it, so I'm feeling 1% better.

And the one thing which wasn't obvious to me, but made me even MORE mad. They spoke with Jim Talent and he was incredibly pissed. He pointed out that if someone cooks the meat and gets sick from Ecoli... what do we do? We trace it down to the manufacturing plant and SHUT IT DOWN while they research what went wrong!!! Holy fuck! So there is this poor meat plant taking a hit financially .. when it could have very well been the grocery store's fault for re-stocking meat some assclown returned after forgetting it in their car for 2 days!

I'm just shocked. Surprised. Blown away. You can read more about the story HERE.