Thursday, August 31, 2006

Tricky Tricky

Monkey and I were discussing a child being kidnapped. I was reading a news story about a little girl in Austria that had been kidnapped when she was 10.. she is now 18. She had been held hostage by some guy, kept in his home the entire time. And the Monkey pulled a fast one on me, "What about elves?".
"Elves??"
Yes, Monkey still believes in Santa. It's cute. Even if his friends don't, he tells them that is their choice... but that he does. And why not? It's fun to believe in someone that brings you presents :) But we tell him, regarding being good, that elves are usually watching you all year. Not daily, but often. So this had him thinking.
"Why don't the elves help?"
"Help with what?" .. because I'm so clueless.. I thought he was on to a different conversation.
"The children. If they see a child being kidnapped or hurt, can't they help?"
Wow. I wasn't sure where to go on that one. I told him I wasn't sure what the rules were on getting involved, but I'm sure that if they happened to be there at the time.. they probably would help.

You know, it's at that time that you almost feel bad for making your child believe in a non-existent character. For him to think that in a time of emergency, an elf might just pop out of the bushes and rescue him.