Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Pit Bull by any other name... is still a Pit Bull


I just don't understand why people are so determined to own a breed of dog that wants to eat them? And, of course, today another lady has been reported eaten by her dog. And I'm sure there will be a lot of people out there saying it's not like the breed at all... Nhooooo. "My dog is perfect". But this time it's a Spanish breed, a Presa Canario. Which is basically the Spanish version of Pit Bull. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and animals. And I'm sure there are the random pet owners out there that have great Pit Bull pets. Great for now. Until, like in the story linked above, your dog decides he doesn't want a bath... and you lose.

I used to own a Great Dane, and he was the best dog ever. My father wanted him as a guard dog, and he was great. He was so patient with my friends and I, and never snapped at us. He looked scary enough, but how often are people eaten by Great Danes? Even a St. Bernard is a great dog, regardless of the movie Cujo. And I don't mind German Shepherds... but why does anyone need a Pit Bull? Or a Rottweiler? Other than to get off on the fact that they are 'tough' and can be trained to kill? Wow, or do they even need to be trained? So I guess people are now going to be buying these Presa Crazydogs to get around the new laws popping up about owning a Pit Bull. Where there is a will.. there is a way. I don't mind that the owners are eaten, but I feel for the neighbors and innocent kids in the area.

This is a photo of a Pit Bull. The only difference to me is that the Presa is larger. They had one listed at 130lbs.

**PS**
OK, after posting this I was closing the other site.. and noticed this picture. This totally sums up the type of people that buy these dogs for me. I mean really. How often do you see a cute fuzzy Pom posing with a model like this? The dog is between her legs in every photo, and there are 7 different photos. Sheesh. Oh, OK, wait! And another model with the dog :) Aaaahahaha...

**UPDATE**
OK, so there is video on a FL news website. I feel really bad, because her 2 young daughters were home, and one witnessed the attack. How tragic. But that the lady had in the past expressed concern with the dogs aggressive behavior.. but hoped he would grow out of it? Oh, and she had 2 of them, and it says she paid $10K for each of them. Because she wanted a 'guard dog' for security. Any dog that loves you and that you treat well will make a great guard dog. My yellow lab will eat you if you don't belong in my home. Seriously. I just can't imagine how much good giving $10K to an animal shelter would do, and take home a few homeless dogs?? Seriously now? I could buy a car with that kind of cash! You can watch the video here, there are 2 different ones.