Saturday, August 19, 2006

We're baaaaaaaaaack..

So we finally got to eek out a little vacation. I can't believe we waited until the last minute, we're such slackers. We decided to hit our favorite drive-thru safari park, because it's not too far and the MoNKeY loves feeding the beasties. This particular beast wanted to climb into our van. MoNKeY had all of his food on the seat, and a few of the llamas tugged it out onto the road. It was funny. But now my van feels violated, buffalo slobber everywhere. We had to wash it when we left, my mirrors and windows were all covered in cattle tongue goo. Ech. We spent the night at a nice old hotel in Springfield, established in 1936. They had some really great photos and antiques all over the place. However, there were some very creepy people at the pool outside.. which was open all night. There was another family there, and then this group of 4. The lady got out of the pool, and I'm guessing she forgot her swimmies, because she was wearing a white tank with her bra under it and some thong underwear. Which is fine, if you SHOULD be wearing thong underwear. So the 2 men in the pool with her were trying to drown her, literally. She even came up once gasping for air.. "I can't breath!!" and they promptly shoved her back under. They finally let her up, and she said it was great that her husband was trying to drown her... and her son was helping. Eeew. So it was the Mom and Dad, and their son who was like 20-something and his wench. And he was ALL over her at the pool, in front of Ma-n-Pa. Biting at her privates.. and other stuff I didn't quite catch because I felt I might go blind. But the creepiest?? They all went into the same hotel room. I'll let you imagine how the rest of the night transpired... because I prefer not to.

So the next day we headed to Branson, MO. Yes, the Las Vegas for Ned Flander's types. No, we didn't see any shows. No offense, but I can't stand country music. I'm intrigued by Shania Twain, but only because she looks different every time I see her.. I'm determined it's actually a group of triplets that perform at different times. And she lives in Switzerland, and I'm a Swiss citizen, so that should make us kindred spirits or something :) But anyway, Branson is still a great place to visit with kids. There is SO much to do! We stayed at a huge hotel which had an indoor and outdoor waterpark, the MonKeY loved that! And to cut this yawn short, we drove the 'ducks' which are military vehicles which drive from land into the water... Tablerock Lake. Monkey got to drive while it was on the water, it was fun. We went into a HuGe helium balloon which took us 500 feet into the air, and I almost passed out. Literally. I don't do well in open spaces.. and all day Mr.NV was telling me that if the steel cable were to break we would keep rising into the atmosphere and we would die due to lack of oxygen. And of course, I was also afraid of EXPLODING or the floor just breaking and falling to my death. But, we survived. Monkey loved that, too!



And then there were many go-carts, it was MonkeYs first time to drive one alone! And many water slides. He met this cute little boy, and we had to pay for an extra hour just so they could play. I think his mother worked there. And of course, on the way back home we hit the Fantastic Caverns in Springfield, MO. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but I have work to do now! BOOOO!!!





If your claustrophobic, Fantastic Caverns is NOT the place for you. Some of the areas we drove through, you had to bend way over in the trailer so that you didn't ... well... die :) And the exit had very low clearance. But it was fun. Oh, and you can see below that I have not yet taught Monkey how to eat grilled chicken :) His proper little English Nana would be so shocked :)

After the first night in Branson, he crashed in the hotel room. He had to bring his own pillow, but I don't think he cared at this point. Aren't they sweet when they're SLEEPING!!!!???