Monday, May 15, 2006

Weston, MO - Part II

OK, so as I was cruising Weston, takes about 2 minutes! I discovered this beautiful graveyard at the top of the hill. I've always been drawn to the really old graveyards, they're so beautiful and full of history. I wish tombstones had more information. However, I did run into a family of vultures.. ick. What an eerie scene that was. And the one of the vulture sitting on the very old monument which said 'Mother'.. was not fun on Mother's Day :)

Sorry for the eerie photos. I just thought they were beautiful. Some of them, if you click on them, you can read the names and dates. These were from the 1800's! One actually says 1799 as the date of death.

This second photo (above)I liked quite a bit. Firstly, because of the color of the mold growing on it. It was a beautiful rust color. The stone looked so well taken care of, and so new. But, she was born in 1799 and married in 1819, which means she was 20. I felt that was a bit old, didn't they marry much younger usually? Which I'm guessing means she was perhaps an independent lady. She married a doctor and they were married for 56 years. She died at 76, so he must have been a really good doctor!

The photo above on the left: 6/28/1805 - 11/13/1884
The photo above on the right: 5/8/1818 - 3/2/1864 - and look where she moved from!
I'll let you guys work out the rest. But man, the history in this graveyard. It's so fascinating.

In the last photo, you can see the 3 vultures. There were actually 4. I kept my distance :)

Update: I found this article on the net. However, I know I saw a stone dated 1799:
LAUREL HILL CEMETERY
Laurel Hill Cemetery sets high on the Welt Street hill overlooking the town. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the pre-Civil War cemetery is not endowed. First known as City Cemetery, the name was changed to Laurel Hill in 1902. Early settlers buried here are four generations of Daniel Boone descendants, David and Phena Calvert Holladay, and Buffalo Bill's aunt Louisa Cody. One of only a few maintained slave cemeteries in the state, a quarter section holds the graves of Missouri slaves. Laurel Hill cemetery is probably the oldest cemetery in Platte County, since Weston was the first town in the Platte Purchase. A few markers of 1840 can be found.