Sunday, May 14, 2006

Weston Missouri - Part I

In order to keep up with Chalice, and her trip to Amish country, I thought I would cruise Weston, MO today. It's not too horribly far from where I live, and it's such a relaxing place to visit.

America Bowman Keeping Room - 500 Welt Street
This is a really good restaurant. I remember as a kid, we would occasionally go there on weekends. My parents were friends with the owners. They had the greatest food, and the ambiance is so cool! The furniture was very antique, many pieces were hand made. They served the food on pewter plates, and dressed in costume. You felt like you lived in the Wild Wild West :) It's still a great place to go. If you're ever in Weston, MO.. I would highly recommend it. They have new owners now, but their style is still the same. The location has a lot of history, which unfortunately I don't completely remember. They have underground cellars and many long tunnels which I believe were used during the war. We took a tour once, it was mucho creepy-o!! I thought they used to produce wine, but in reading the history on the link below, it was beer. They also have their own Bed and Breakfast, which is located on the property. I have never stayed there, it would probably be fun. I got a big kick out of the sign on the side of the restaurant, "If you must drive a man to drink.. please drive him here". Bwahhahhah!! There is more information on this website.

This is the main street in Weston. Riveting, eh? But it really is a wonderful old town. I believe they used to, or possibly still do, produce tobacco.

There is a large building still there, which I believe they use during the harvest season. I remember seeing it being used as a child, just not recently. But I don't know whey they harvest tobacco. I don't have any in my garden :)

Unfortunately, blogger won't add more pics. So I'll have to do this as a series. Sheesh.