Sunday, May 21, 2006

Things that perplex me.

I was thinking today, about my neighbor. No, not 'girl next door'.. she's great :) But, one of the other neighbors. She lives across the street from me. I'm guessing she's in her 40's, she's married and has a son in college. She's a bit odd, and I don't really talk to her much. Not so much odd I guess, we just don't click. When she talks to me, I almost feel like I'm being insulted somehow.. if that' makes sense. As if she's trying to be funny, but not smiling.. so you're not really sure. Her husband, I'm lucky if he waves. I only see him drive into and out of the garage.. and sometimes mowing the lawn. And their son is a complete tool. When he is here during the summer, he is just loud and obnoxious. One day he sat outside of their house honking for about 20 minutes... I eventually lost it and yelled for him to knock it off. I'm sure it fell on deaf ears, but it did finally get his mother outside and they yelled.. who knows. I went back inside.

So last Summer I was sitting on my front step. I like sitting on my front step, I can watch the Monkey Boy as he plays and sometimes neighbors will come and sit with me. I just listen away and wait for exciting tidbits I can tell 'Girl Next Door' ...snicker... So one afternoon the lady across the street came over. I was surprised actually, she isn't all that friendly. She plopped down and we chatted for a while. I asked her about her foreign exchange student, if he made it home OK. She had a young man from Italy, he was very nice. Her driveway faces our house, and he was forever out there playing basketball. Badly :) We would tease him all the time, but he was a super nice kid. High School.. I'd say 17 or 18. I never asked. But, our conversation became a little odd. She explained how he was fine, and I think they're planning a trip to visit him and his family. And she started to tell me about how she had a new young man coming to live with her for the new school year... basically she has a foreign exchange student every year. And she said, "I don't know how I'm going to feel about it, he's from Sweden. I really like the Italians, they're very handsome. I think Italians are very attractive." And I had to pause... And she noticed I paused... "Well.. you know what I mean. I have always had Italians.. it will just be different that he has blonde hair and blue eyes." Er?

So today I got to thinking about that whole conversation. And how it was a bit odd. I'm pretty open, I don't care if she thinks HS guys are hot. Whatever, it's her deal. But it seems a bit seedy to be a foreign exchange student host.. and to find HS guys hot. That's just creepy. Personally, I like to look at business men in suits :) Really nice suits. Don't know why, they just look intelligent. Take same guy on the weekend in shorts and a t-shirt, no thanks :) But HS guys? Not at all. And I got to thinking about her interactions in the past with her other students. They would play basketball together, she would be out there giggling like a school girl. And her last student, before the poor un-loved Swede, she would take digi pics of him while he was shirtless and playing ball. Eew. I just felt sorry for her before the conversation, I felt that maybe her husband was a wanker .. and I know her son is a wanker. Maybe she was just so maternal that she wanted another son? Eh, no. But I like the Swede, he's also very nice. He lets my son go over and play bbal with him, and the other kids if they're about. He came over on Halloween with all of his friends, they dressed up and it was very funny. But he seems to have a lot of friends, and she doesn't seem to mind. Last guy, she was telling me how angry she was because he would go to his friend's house and not tell her. They would argue about it, and he had to be back by a certain time. I'm telling you, creepy. I'm not going to go on about it any more.. just wanted to express my thoughts on it :) I'll keep y'all informed!!