Thursday, April 13, 2006

The 'Fly-Over' States


Until surfing the Internet, I never realized how much people disliked the Midwest. Well, it seems except for Chicago. And it bothers me. I'm tired of being called the 'Wal-Mart Crowd' or the 'Fly-Over States'. What started that exactly? It's offensive to me. We're normal people, just like anyone on the East or West coast. Because your cost of living is higher than ours, does that make you superior? I always felt it sort of made us smarter? I have shopped at Wal-Mart, I don't think I'm any lesser of a human being for it. I just don't often go there because the crowds are so insane, not because I feel I'm above it. And surely it can't only be political, I've been hearing it for many years. So perhaps some of you guys can explain to me why the East/West crowd feel they are so much better than the Midwest? And why they can drop their snide little comments without blinking an eye? I have noticed it on DListed quite often, and it's tiresome. We all drive the same cars, eat the same food and need the same things in life to make us happy. We have children and families. I just can't figure out why we are all categorized as being simpletons. I just want to slap every person that says it. Perhaps proving their point.. but I'd sure feel a lot better!!