Monday, July 03, 2006

Ahhh.... the smell of sulfur :)


My husband is a bit of a fan of things that go 'bang'. Well, that go 'BANG!!!!!' would be more like it. He's been conjuring up explosions as long as he can remember, and has the scars and lack of hearing to prove it. But I keep him around anyway.. because he has life insurance :) My brother calls him MacGyver. He could definitely create an explosive using bottled water, lipstick and a Q-tip :) There are many 'things' not photographed here .. for your own safety :) However, other than being incredibly loud.. the 'things' he makes now are completely safe. Nothing will blow up and fly at you. One year he used, um, things which were not liquid.. and 33+ gallon trash bags. Some fuses.. other items.. and BWAAOOOOOMMMMMMM!!! The sound wave? actually shredded the leaves on the tree.. it was bizarre.

I'm sure many will say, 'too much' but I'm also sure that there are others that will say 'That's all?"... I like to think we're in the middle there somewhere :) We just love fireworks. I love fountains and all of the beautiful floral shells that light up the sky. We used to buy display class fireworks.. until the laws were tightened. As long as you had an address outside of city limits, you could get them easily. But, most of the display class fireworks my husband would buy were the 'salutes'. The super incredibly loud ones which blow up with the prettier ones? No color, just ground thumping noise. And of course, he didn't shoot them into the sky, he shot them across fields or just blew them up on the ground. Did I mention my father's rocket launcher?? Oh, and that he's deaf in one ear.. too??

So Monkey Boy is in high gear. His Nana and Grandpa gave him $30 to spend on fireworks, so he was in hog heaven yesterday. He wanted everything on display today so that he could get himself even more worked up and excited.. so I thought I'd share a pic :) And yes, we keep him a safe distance and he's getting goggles today. We're insane.. but we're not stupid :)

I hope you all have a happy and safe July 4th!!