Monday, June 12, 2006

Arthur and the Minimoys


So today we were pretty lucky, we got to go and see - FOR FREE - the movie which is set to be released this Christmas 'Arthur and the Minimoys'. It was actually very very good, we went with our GOOD neighbors and their kids also... they also enjoyed it. Usually when we get these invites to free movies, they're for adults only. So we were excited to see that kids 7 and over were welcome... and that it was a cartoon. I wasn't aware, though, that it was not all animation. And I am not familiar with Luc Besson's novel.. so it was all new to us. The little boy Arthur (played by Freddie Highmore from 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory') is very sweet. He lives with his Grandmother, and reads AND reads many journals left by his Grandfather of his travels and inventions. He discovers that there is a treasure hidden somewhere on their farm (rubies) which would save the farm from being taken due to unpaid debt. Oh, and he has an adorable pet dog FYI :) To make a long story short.. check out the website :)

After the movie ended, we had to fill out a questionnaire about what we liked/didn't like. I will admit, going into the movie I wasn't excited at all that Snoop Dog was one of the voices of the movie.. but I was going to try to be open minded. There is just something about a former pimp and regular pot smoker being in a kids movie. He's fine, he's funny.. I don't mind him in movies for adults. But I think it's in bad taste for him to be in a children's movie. First we discover that the other lead, a Princess named Selenia, is voiced by Madonna. And I was put off a bit by the obvious crush the little boy had... he was 10 in the movie. And the Princess was 1000.. but in Minimoy years.. which made her also 10ish. But do you remember the movie 'Cat Woman' with Halle Berry? And when she would walk away from the camera and WORK IT?? That specific swing she had... this Princess had. VERY curvy.. and it was just sorta too overboard and unnecessary. And do 10 year old boys stare at little girls' bottoms??? Cuz he was.. and it was just a bit sordid. And the Snoop Dog character was just as annoying as I had anticipated. He ran a Jamaican looking bar and was hitting on the Princess. "I can go all night long.. 24/7" and something about having 7 wives. And she's 10? And they were all drinking something.. which made Arthur drunk. I know, I should read the book and I'll totally get it I'm sure. But, to a person that hasn't read it.. it was almost a bit too much like adult Anime'... almost. And in reading the character credits, they did the 'body capture' for the Princess from Toinette Laquière. Why? I just don't understand why she had to be 'sexy'???

I will admit, I really did like the movie a lot. After filling out the questionnaire, they kept my husband. Because he only rated it as 'Good'.. although he liked the movie. Just not Snoop.. or his character. His character, FYI, was wearing a loin cloth and nothing else and had what looked like really bad sun-spots or skin cancer all over his back. And his fingers.. if you were to cut off your finger at the first joint from the top? It looked just like that. Very gross. Anyway, back to the hub, he said that everyone in the focus group was disturbed by the 'sexual overtones' and even the kids weren't into the kiss. But they all really loved the movie.. even though it wasn't completely in focus yet and the music wasn't totally finished.

So, anyway... GO SEE IT! It was a fantastic movie, the animation was awesome and it is such a very creative story. The little boy, Freddie Highmore, was fantastic. And David Bowie as the Evil Maltazard was perfect.. I love his voice. We will definitely go and see it when it is in theaters again. But, since we were asked to be .. we were in critical mode.. and the Princess really was too much like a Bratz Doll. And the whole romance between the Madonna voice and the little Freddie voice made my skin crawly. I don't know why a girl couldn't have played the role?