Thursday, June 08, 2006

Any thoughts on bunnies??


So I'm pondering the new pet.. to replace Rocky the disappearing dog. I'm not sure that I'm up to house breaking another pound puppy yet. My original thought in getting Rocky, would be for Monkey Boy to have someone to play ball with. Didn't calculate fence-jumping dog into the whole happy visual. Monkey is pretty active anyway, he's always outside running around in the yard with the other monkeys in the hood. So now my mind keeps wandering back to a bunny I held at a local pet store. I was picking up a new collar for Rocky and this beautiful black/white bunny kept climbing up the side of his cage and sticking his nose out at me. He was so doggone cute. So I held him while I walked around the store . Some rabbits don't like being held, they're squirmy ... but he was so cuddly. ..sigh... I'm just weak, I blame my Mother. Growing up on what was almost a farm house, we had peacocks, dogs, bunnies, ducks and a variety of other random animals. It's in my blood :)

So I still have Tara, but she's going on 11 or something and prefers to sit by me all day.. which is great. But she's not playful.. at all. And I'm thinking that a bunny would be great, because I can still plan a trip out of town. We're taking Tara anyway, and it will be super doggone easy to find a sitter for a cute little bunny :) A new wild insane dog? Not so much. And do I want to take said wild insane dog to the mountains? Eh.. no. I had visions of Rocky just taking off into the great outdoors. Don't even think for a second I wouldn't have hopped into the vanwagon and left his furry butt!!

Are there any stories out there as to why I shouldn't do the bunny? The only bad memory I have of ours is that he was eaten by a fox one night. But, we would keep ours inside. He would be great for Monkey in the evenings when he's finally settling.. to cuddle with and hang out with. He can help maintain his cage, and they can even be potty-trained. I can't help but think it would be a good alternative to a dog? I need some professional opinions :) Other than my husband, because he's all about the 'NOOOOOO'. I stopped listening to him when I was 18 :)