Monday, September 03, 2007

Question

On average, how many kids are on a little league team?

When we started out with our coach, we were a new team.. he was a new coach. We had the perfect amount of kids, so there were never more than 1 or 2 on the bench.. if that. The first year he was all 'we need to stick it out, and we'll get better'. And that was fine, the kids were getting out there running around and learning the game. Monkey loves it. The second season he brought in 1 or 2 more experienced kids, tossing a few of the infield kids into the outfield and leaving more kids on the bench. He did fairly well at mixing up who would be on the bench.. usually. But now we just started the Fall league... and there are 17 kids on the team?! He brought in a bunch of kids that seem to have been playing since they were 2... and now most of our original team is on the bench. Monkey got to hit once, and was in the outfield once the entire game.

I'm not all huggy-feely.. I don't feel everyone should get a trophy. I believe you play to win and either you do or you at least did your best. And I kind of thought that our team would stick together and get better every season.. as they were trying. But now it seems the coach is more interested in just winning and so has found a bunch of new kids he'd rather play with, and has left the rest of us behind. I'm sort of insulted and would rather just put him in karate or golf lessons. I get it that the other kids are better, but how will our kids get better if they don't play?

So I'm perturbed. I'm taking a brief break before the partay.. and did a search. I didn't find information on how many kids should actually be on the team. I guess if this is normal, that's fine. I'm just one of those bitchy moms :) But I'm good at it!! I deserve a trophy!! :)